Monday, April 20, 2009

Kermit Would Be Proud...


"GREEN…" a current socio-political, socio-economical and socio-socio frenzy. Green buildings are going up all around us; green cars are flooding the roads filled with corn oil. The “Going Green” initiative strikes at all angles striving for a positive impact on environment and community. Businesses are adding “green teams” to help guide them to a greener business. It’s all very “hip” and alittle annoying…Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. I am all for it but I don’t like being pushed so hard. I even made it a resolution for the New Year to pay more attention to Mother Earth.

My green today doesn’t have anything to do with buying a canvas bag for groceries, switching to compact fluorescent light bulbs, or drinking water from a fancy SIGG bottle. Nor does it have to do with being envious and it doesn’t show up behind my ears.

I stepped outside to what I identify as the once a year “GREEN DAY.” It’s the day after the first good spring rain. When the grass is extraordinarily greener than it was the day before and it only happens once. Every year it happens- just once. I open the door, stand on the porch and soak it all in. Hard to believe that over night all the grass on Palmer Road can be repainted.

No comments:

Post a Comment