Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Back to Baby

I have spent the whole week worrying about Gracie’s first birthday party. When I walked outside to find snow yesterday morning I almost had a heart attack. Our house is cute, and nice, and in a great, great, area… but its just not big enough to entertain our families. We really need the weather to be nice. My goal is a laid back celebration of the tiny life that has blessed ours in such a big way. She won’t know what is going on, and won’t remember. But mommy and daddy will and birthdays should be a celebration of the whole family. We were all there the day she was born and we have all been there throughout this first year.

Its funny how you wish for things to go away and then you wish to have them back again. Thankfully, I had Gracie when I was old enough to appreciate the gift of time. I was aware that as I begged for sleep when she was 6 weeks old that one day I would wish for the rocking chair at 3am. I knew that as I wished for her to be able to feed herself, and crawl, and walk, drink from a cup, and say Ma Ma and Da Da, that there would be a day when I would wish her back to baby. And as I think about the upcoming milestone of a First Birthday I simply wish her back… back to baby. It’s all so bittersweet. I am excited for her. I can’t wait to teach her things and take her places when she is old enough like the beach, and Disney, the Art Museum, and OSU Football games. But I also wish her back to baby. As much fun as I know we are going to have there is nothing that compares to the first year with your first born.

Her birthday is actually on Friday so I have taken the day off work to spend with her. It’s one day a year that is just hers and I will kiss her and hug her and kiss her and hug her all day long. And as long as my boss and Gracie allow it, we will spend the day together. I will not work on April 10th. In fact, I think I worked enough on April 10th, 2008 to make up for not working on that day for the rest of time. When she is older she can even take the day off school if she wants… It’s her day. There are 364 other days that can belong to everyone else. But April 10th has been claimed and I proclaim it as the best day ever.

We can’t wait to celebrate… And it appears unlike her momma, she likes cake.

2 comments:

  1. You're right, Nichole, there is nothing like the first year with your first born! I connected with lots of what you said in this post. Being back in the rocker at 3 am with the second is equally as exhausting and special, but it is different...
    Celia's 1st birthday party had to be postponed because of the blizzard in 2008. And her 2nd birthday was invaded by her little brother... March 7th tends to be busy in our family :) I hope 4.10 is perfect this year, and for years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jenni! I find myself craving the little-ness of her again and I know it will only continue to get worse as she gets bigger... then I think well, we should just have another and I know that it will never be the same as when you do it all for the very first time. It's truly magical (and maddening) :)

    ReplyDelete