Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Agendas, Event Briefings, and Timelines...

I characterize myself as laid back. Maybe I am wrong. I can think of two events that I insisted on being well planned, meaningful, thought out events. My wedding and my daughters first birthday. I work in the special events industry so does my mom so it’s bred in me. I work well from an agenda. I know, I know… an agenda for a child’s first birthday would be over the top. Below is a short review of our week leading up to “Event Day” ….

Monday- I am scheduled to make a trip to Jackson. Estate related. Gracie will go with me and visit with Grammy Jeri and crew.
*Plans change and trip postponed until Tuesday.

Tuesday- I work 8:30-2:30. Make trip to Jackson and then to Gallipolis. I don’t take Gracie with me as it will be a late night and I want her to get some sleep—she seems to be getting sick. I get blasted by loving family members who miss Gracie. I attend services for Kate's mom and then have dinner with my family. Back home at 10:30pm.

Wednesday- Gracie to school, Nichole to work.. 8am Joey’s mom picks him up and takes him for some fairly intense dental surgery and spends the day at our house. (I am not sure why Joey decided that two days before Gracie’s first birthday was a good time for this surgery… but hey, it’s over now right?) Neither one of us slept much that night as I fed him meds every 4 hours.

Thursday- Nichole to work, Mimi at our house with Gracie. Joey is still not 100% but getting better. I run birthday party related errands on my lunch break. Gracie's cold getting worse and awake most of night. The first night of two spent sleeping on her floor.

Friday- HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRACIE!!! All of the plans to decorate her crib and sing to her before she leaves the comforts of bed are postponed. She was up most of the night coughing. At 9:30am we were in the doctor’s office. At 10:30am we were on our way home with a diagnosis of bronchiolitis and the owner's of a "Bubbles the Fish" nebulizer. We spent the whole day in her room playing and doing dreaded breathing treatments. By 9:30pm we were both asleep again. Until 3am…

Saturday- My parents arrive at 9:30am. Gracie is having yogurt and watching me dance around the dining room to Surfing Safari... Let the Luau prep begin!…At 2pm. It’s official. Joey and I have one year under our “proud parent’s belt.” I think the party was a success. Mother Nature cooperated as best she could for the second week of April in Ohio. The sun was shining and it was in the high 50’s. The cake was beautiful and from what I hear very, very tasty. The well wishes were abundant for Gracie as she unknowingly celebrated…. It was indeed a most magnificent day. Even if she didn’t feel 100% you would never have guessed it.


Ahhh...Sunday- A calm yet spectacular morning at church. Many reminders of how lucky we are to have so many reasons to sing. I sang my favorite “Up From the Grave” and “Rise Again” songs in my head while Gracie napped and I got ready. I said to Joey on the way to church... "it was shockingly easy getting out of the house this morning." Lucky for me, the piano played “Rise Again” as the congregation waited in line for communion. Since we had just seen our families the day before Joey and I felt like it was okay to just be our own little family on Sunday. We enjoyed a nice lunch, a nice nap, some good golf, and stunning sunshine. Gracie couldn’t have looked any cuter in her dress.





Looking back, I am ashamed. My week wasn’t really that bad. I felt like my to do list was 42 miles long at times... but luckily, “sacrifice my child” wasn't on it.
I guess sometimes it takes a look at the past to see the present…

No comments:

Post a Comment