Wednesday, April 8, 2009
Future Woman of Achievement
I enjoyed lunch today. It was the YWCA Women of Achievement lunch. It showcased a handful of distinguished women in Columbus that have overcome barriers of racial and gender discrimination to prove success in their fields. There was a museum director, an advocate for abused women, a banker, a writer, an attorney, and all were volunteers. It wasn’t said or noted but I was thinking the whole time that they were all daughters. They all thanked their mothers and some thanked their daughters. As I sat and listened to each of them accept their awards I didn’t think..“wow- I want to be in this class one day” I thought…“What examples do I need to start setting now to put Grayson on that stage one day” I was again inspired to be and do better. My job gives me that inspiration almost daily. And even though I was in the very back of the room, paid for my own lunch, and arrived in a shuttle. I still felt like I belonged there. I have in fact, given birth to a brilliant, beautiful, and amazing little girl who will do great things. Wait… you will see.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment