Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Simple Nature

I do not have mums or pumpkins yet for fear that would make it official. Make me want to run to the banks of this pond for a little piece of fall rapture like I did every year.

I learned a lot from the farm over the years mostly, how to slow down and live with simplicity. The simple things made me grin, like the mason jar of cold water in the fridge, a game of euchre with a bowl of chili, the drink of buttermilk with salt and pepper, the smell of Old Spice, and the swing by the pond. When I was a little girl I loved its simple nature and when I was adult I loved it even more. I am sure it wasn’t always so simple there, but I can pretend.

Nothing about the farm today is simple. It is all complex and difficult. It is lawyer fees and possible evictions; it is water leaks and stolen money. It is ungrateful and irresponsible adults. It is depressing.

We had a really good day there last year. I wish we could go back this year now that Gracie could really enjoy it. But it’s just not that simple.




No comments:

Post a Comment