Monday, December 22, 2008

The Great One


"Don't Sweat the Small Stuff" -- something I hear in my head at least 10 times a day. In fact, it's a saying that I truly, truly, believe in. I don't stress if Gracie's socks don't match her outfit exactly, I don't stress if the house is in utter chaos when I leave for work in the morning, and actually... I don't get too worked up about much of anything. I am probably too easy going if truth be told. However, when I really think about it and twist around what the "small stuff" actually is... I do sweat it... and in fact, the small stuff is what has always meant the most to me. Last night as I was getting Gracie out of the tub and ready for bed I put a halt to the diaper war.. (she doesn't like to get dressed... at all) and decided to just let her roll around in her birthday suit all over her carpet. The pure joy on her face as she rolled and kicked and giggled was absolutely worth the slight chance that I could spend the rest of the evening with my SpotBot. After her cute little bottom was covered I took another minute to smell her recently bathed yummy-ness. Pure joy. (The only smell that is better is the smell of her little feet after being couped up in jammies all night... yep, they are a little stinky but they strangly smell good... maybe it's a smell only mama can love.)

After the jammies were on I received a call from my mom that I had been expecting for months. We had lost our beloved Great Grandma. She was in her late nineties, an enormous person in a small little tiny frame. I am not sure she was even 5 feet tall and as kids we would measure how tall we were getting next to Grandma each time we left her house. Everything about Grandma was small except the impact that she had on her family-- and of course, her heart. Grandmas are always so quick to brag about how many grandkids they have when in fact, it should be the grandkids bragging about how great their grandma is... If I counted right Grandma had: 7 Grandchildren, 15 Great-Grandchildren, and 7 Great-Great Grandchildren.

I never remember Grandma ever raising her voice, ever being angry, ever saying a negative word about anything or anyone, never, ever, ever was Grandma anything but Great. I LOVED going to her house. We played school, we played cards (a game called "take your piles"), we sat on her porch swing watching cars go by betting each other what color the next one would be. It was pure heaven at Grandmas. I have never had a glass of lemonade, a fried baloney sandwich, or a piece of angel food cake that compared to Grandmas. She cooked on a little tiny stove and served me at a little tiny table, on the back porch of her little tiny house.

I hope that I can always remember the things that Grandma and I did together and I guess I do sweat the small stuff...It's all that really matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment