Friday, October 4, 2013

Capacity of Heart

As the warm hues of autumn paint our landscape they also embellish me. On the porch swing Gracie shared treasures from a class nature walk. She had collected acorns and sticks and stunning leaves. I swam in her sack filled with fall. As her tiny dirty hands pulled out the objects each proved to be better than the last. I listened as she shared the details of her day and asked questions about my favorite season. As she completed our conversation and flew away, I remembered…

It used to happen each year at this time-- an internal craving to take flight. I would search myself and question the roots that I had started to bury. Wondering if I was where I was supposed to be. Each year I made excuses for explorations unclaimed and paths cut short.

Today I find unwavering comfort in my chosen route and my beautifully buried roots.

I wish for her faith in flight, depth in her roots, and the capacity of heart to want both.

Know you loved Gracie. Know you are loved.


No comments:

Post a Comment