The era of sleepless nights and bottle feedings is complete. We aren’t probing the house for pacifiers and changing a lot of diapers. Our diligent scan for choking hazards has passed and our backs have healed from the wobbly walker days.
The girls can dress themselves. They can get their own drinks and help set the table. They brush their teeth and wash their faces independently and sometimes they even clean their rooms.
While I welcome the progressions and the restored sleep schedule, I am more worried now than ever. Providing positive influences and building good people is a gigantic job. Teaching Gracie to make the right decisions has been fairly easy- so far. Backing up my own discipline decisions has not been. Like most parents, I want my children to be respectful and polite. I want them to care about others, show compassion for their friends and choose words wisely. I want them to grow up in an environment full of happiness and enthusiasm—and rules.
I have heard the words of my parents spill out of my mouth recently and I am confident that this will only surge over time. I have pointed out that I don’t care what other kids are allowed to do or what other parents are doing. I enforced our rules and listened to the “that’s not fair” show. I haven’t used soap yet or the incredible bionic-mom-arm that can reach legs in the backseat. I haven’t sent anyone to bed without dinner or used a wooden spoon for anything but stirring soup- so far.
Gracie and Charlie October 2012
No comments:
Post a Comment